Williams captures Fall Classic
|Photo by Al Goulder|
With the cars on the starting grid, pole sitter Roland Mann had to call it a night after his car leaked a puddle of oil without ever taking a lap.
That moved Williams to the front row with Chris Stacy and with the green flag in the air and the cars barreling into turn one. Williams shot into the lead.
Williams held off challenges from Stephen Evans and then Anthony Kincaid in the closing laps to take home the 40th Annual Fall Classic victory.
Rounding out the top five were Anthony Kincaid, Sommey Lacey, Tom Cohick and Tyler Bailey.
The Pit at Virginia Motor Speedway will host the 5th Annual Run-A-Muck Mud Bog and Mud Sling Saturday, October 3. There will be seven classes of “Mud Maniacs” in action ranging from stock to unlimited with cash payouts in all classes.
Not only will fans get to see hordes of trucks splashing through the 200 foot mud bog pit but they will also get the opportunity to see some of the region’s best mud dragsters covering the 200-foot mud sling pit in less than three seconds. The event will also include Instigator in a car-crushing monster truck freestyle show.
Gates and registration open at 9 a.m. with single eliminations for Stock A, B; Modified A, B, C along with X, XX; and Unlimited Bog classes. The action starts at noon. Rules for each class are available online at http://www.vamotorspeedway.com.
Admission for the 5th Annual Run-A-Muck Mud Bog and Mud Sling is $12 for adults, $10 for ages 7 to 17, and children ages 6 and under are admitted free.
Bill Sawyer’s Virginia Motor Speedway, an ASA member track affiliate, is a ½ mile dirt oval on Route 17, eight miles north of Saluda at Jamaica. Call 758-1VMS or visit http://www.vamotorspeedway.com for more information.
The top 10 finishers in last Saturday’s races are as follows:
- Late Models (25 entries)
1. David Williams, Avenue, Md.; 2. Anthony Kincaid, Hayes; 3. Sommey Lacey Jr., Clements, Md.; 4. Tom Cohick, Gloucester; 5. Tyler Bailey, Chesterfield; 6. Matt Marshall, Stuarts Draft; 7. Jim “Fireball” Latham, Chaptico, Md.; 8. Brandon Long, Mechanicsville, Md.; 9. Brad Rigdon, Chesapeake; 10. William King, Portsmouth.
- Sportsman (15 entries)
1. Tim Shelton, Fredericksburg; 2. Roger Jamerson, Glen Allen; 3. Kenny Moreland, Waldorf, Md.; 4. Tony Wood, New Kent; 5. John Kirby, Sandston; 6. Bruce Wilson, Quinton; 7. J.R. Guy, Mechanicsville, Md.; 8. Todd Traylor, King William; 9. Rusty Steele, Providence Forge; 10. David Otey, Aylett.
- Modified (10 entries)
1. James Marshall, Saint Leonard, Md.; 2. Josh Harris, Gloucester; 3. Dan Arnold, Petersburg; 4. Page Harrison, Jetersville; 5. Brandon Galloway, Gloucester; 6. Craig Ramich, Fairfax; 7. Brandon Cohick, Gloucester; 8. Charlie Hubbard, Chesapeake; 9. Kevin Fletcher, Saluda; 10. Dustin Bishop, Stony Creek.
- Sprints (8 entries)
1. Jeff Van Steenburg, West Shokan, N.Y.; 2. John Matrafailo, Milford, Pa.; 3. Ryan Price, Ashland; 4. Chuck Alessi, Middletown, N.Y.; 5. Troy Severin, Ashland; 6. Dan Hennessy, Salisbury Mills, N.Y.; 7. Michael Keeton Jr., Doswell; 8. Daren Bolac, Moyock, N.C.
- Limited Stock (18 entries)
1. James Givens, New Kent; 2. Brian Maxey, King George; 3. Ryan Toole, Richmond; 4. Paul Bess, Quantico; 5. Joe Ender, Glen Allen; 6. Mark Guthrie, Port Republic, Md.; 7. Wesley Givens, New Kent; 8. Daniel Loth, Richmond; 9. Ashley Meyers, Hayes; 10. Bob Terry, Stafford.