Warwick & Danville battle for state championship
Warwick routs Alexandria 13-1 and Danville rips Green Run 12-6 in semifinals
|All 15 teams in the Junior Little League State Tournament were on the field at the Middlesex Sports Complex for Thursday night’s opening ceremonies. Tournament play went off without a hitch until rain storms cancelled two games on Sunday, which pushed the quarterfinal round to Tuesday. Visit http://www.SSentinel.com for more details. (Photo by Tom Hardin)|
Warwick and Danville advanced to the finals of the Junior Little League State Tournament with semifinal wins on Wednesday, July 29, at the Middlesex Sports Complex.
Warwick downedAlexandria 13-1 and Danville beat Green Run 12-6 in morning games.
The Sentinel had already gone to press before the championship game was played Wednesday afternoon.
The champion advances to the Southern Regional at Cartersville, Ga., August 8-12.
The Middlesex Little League and District 15 hosted the tournament from July 24-29.
Champions from 15 of the Virginia Little League’s 16 districts arrived in the county on July 23. (District 16 does not have Junior Little League and were not represented in the tournament.)
Teams began pool play on Friday, July 24, and continued on Saturday. Rain on Sunday cancelled the two 6 p.m. pool play games, and the games were made up on Monday.
The rain delay pushed the quarterfinal round to Tuesday, July 28.
The eight teams with the best and second best records in each pool advanced to the single-elimination tournament quarterfinals. The other seven teams were eliminated.
Pool Play game results were as follows:
- (D1) Chilhowie 6, (D2) Danville 5
- (D9) Fort Hunt 8, (D13) Pound 1
- Danville 7, Fort Hunt 4
- Chilhowie 6, Pound 4
- Danville 16, Pound 4
- Fort Hunt 18, Chilhowie 6
- Danville (champion) and Fort Hunt (runner-up) advanced.
- (D7) Warwick 15, (D4) Alexandria 0
- (D5) Tuckahoe 5, (D10) Fairfax 1
- Warwick 9, Tuckahoe 6
- Alexandria 12, Fairfax 4
- Warwick 13, Fairfax 3
- Alexandria 3, Tuckahoe 2
- Warwick (champion) and Alexandria (runner-up) advanced.
- (D8) Green Run 11, (D6) Churchland 1
- Green Run 12, (D14) East Orange 1
- East Orange 18, Church’d 1
- Green Run (champion) and East Orange (runner-up) advanced.
- (D12) Cave Spring 3, (D11) Honaker 2
- (D3) Grottoes 5, (D15) Essex 0
- Grottoes 7, Cave Spring 5
- Essex 15, Honaker 14
- Grottoes 1, Honaker 0
- Essex 15, Cave Spring 8
- Grottoes (champion) and Essex (runner-up) advanced.
- Danville 4, East Orange 1
- Green Run 7, Fort Hunt 6
- Warwick 5, Essex 2
- Alexandria 6, Grottoes 4
- Danville 12, Green Run 6
- Warwick 13. Alexandria 1