Leukemia Cup Regatta exceeds expectations
|Climb aboard the VIP boat and see what the regatta is all about. Just press play!|
The 11th Annual Southern Chesapeake Leukemia Cup Regatta held in Deltaville over the weekend of July 10-12 was a big success with 85 registered yachts and enthusiastic crowds at the auction and gala helping to raise over an estimated $160,000 in cash and in-kind donations to support patients with blood cancers.
The total raised came not just from the sailors who competed on the race course, but also from area business sponsors, led by the presenting sponsor SunTrust Bank, and countless individual community supporters of all the Leukemia Cup events that began in the early spring and culminated with the regatta held at Fishing Bay Yacht Club last weekend.
Carolyn Norton Schmalenberger, co-chair of the event, said “the results were far better than expected, considering current economic conditions.”
Co-chair Judy Buis expressed her gratitude to the sailing community for “close to a record turnout on the race course affirming the event’s reputation as one of the Bay’s premiere competitive sailing events.”
The racing fleets were treated to sun and big breezes on Saturday followed by a drifting match on Sunday in pleasantly cool mid-summer temperatures.
The two-day racing format was officiated by principal race officers Brooks Zerkel on the East Course and Lud Kimbrough on the West Course, supported by a host of on-the-water volunteers. Overall awards for the top boats in each division were presented on Sunday afternoon following the final race. Award winners (division, boat, skipper’s last name) included:
- J105—1st, Blade Runner, Davis; 2nd, Corryvreckan; Clark; 3rd, Loose Cannon, Scott.
- PHRF A—1st, Voodoo 2, Lissenden; 2nd, Wavelength, Whittet; 3rd, Double Eagle, Mitchener.
- PHRF B/C—1st, White Boat, McConaughy; 2nd, Strokin, Bowles; 3rd, La Maga, Heyward.
- PHRF Non-Spin—1st, Nanuq, Doncaster; 2nd, Battlewagon, Cross; 3rd, Temptress, DeJong.
- J24—1st, Roundabout/DutchCourage, Bomar; 2nd, Kobayashi Maru, Dennison/Collins; 3rd, Cats Pajamas, Johnstone.
- Classic Fleet—1st, Last Boat III, Murphy; 2nd, Desperado, Bauer; 3rd, Joie de Vie, Seltzer.
- Leukemia (Blue Fleet)—1st, Osprey; 2nd, Free Wind, Fisher; 3rd, Tenacious, DeMarco.
- Leukemia (White Fleet)—1st, Shinola, Petzinger; 2nd, Quantum Leap, Rickles; 3rd, Sanctuary, Coloff.
The action at this year’s Leukemia Cup was not confined to the race course. Augmented by spacious tents erected on the grounds of Fishing Bay Yacht Club, members of Stingray Harbour Yacht Club and other volunteers transformed a grassy plot into the site for the event’s popular fund-raising auction on Friday night and for the Leukemia Cup Gala celebration with food, beverages and entertainment on Saturday night.
The Leukemia and Lymphoma Society once again was overwhelmed with the level of enthusiasm from the host yacht clubs and the Deltaville and Middlesex communities. Laura Boone, campaign coordinator for the Leukemia & Lymphoma Society, expressed it best when she said that the event supporters, sponsors, organizers and volunteer workers were “amazing people with huge hearts that share their love of the water to help our patients and their families and, for that, we are so lucky!”