Essex advances in Little League State Tourney
Pool play ends today; quarterfinals are Tuesday
|All 15 teams in the Junior Little League State Tournament were on the field at the Middlesex County Sports Complex for Thursday night’s opening ceremonies. (Photo by Tom Hardin)|
The Middlesex Little League and District 15 are hosting the Junior Little League State Tournament through Wednesday, July 29, at the Middlesex Sports Complex at Locust Hill.
Champions from 15 of the Virginia Little League’s 16 districts arrived in the county on July 23. (District 16 does not have Junior Little League and are not represented in the tournament.)
Teams began pool play on Friday, July 24. Rain on Sunday cancelled the two 6 p.m. pool play games, and pool play action will resume Monday, July 27, at about 10 a.m. with two games remaining to be played.
The rain delay pushed the quarterfinal round to Tuesday, July 28. The teams with the best and second best records in each of the four pools advance to the tournament quarterfinals. The other seven teams are eliminated.
|The Middlesex County Sports Complex at Locust Hill. (Photo by Mike Kucera)|
- (D1) Chilhowie 6, (D2) Danville 5
- (D9) Fort Hunt 8, (D13) Pound 1
- Danville 7, Fort Hunt 4
- Chilhowie 6, Pound 4
- Danville 16, Pound 4
- Fort Hunt 18, Chilhowie 6
- Danville (champion) and Fort Hunt (runner-up) advance.
- (D7) Warwick 15, (D4) Alexandria 0
- (D5) Tuckahoe 5, (D10) Fairfax 1
- Warwick 9, Tuckahoe 6
- Alexandria 12, Fairfax 4
- In rained-out pool play, Warwick plays Fairfax at 10 a.m. Monday, July 27; Alexandria-Tuckahoe game follows.
- (D8) Green Run 11, (D6) Churchland 1
- Green Run 12, (D14) East Orange 1
- East Orange 18, Churchland 1
- Green Run (champion) and East Orange (runner-up) advance.
- (D12) Cave Spring 3, (D11) Honaker 2
- (D3) Grottoes 5, (D15) Essex 0
- Grottoes 7, Cave Spring 5
- Essex 15, Honaker 14
- Grottoes 1, Honaker 0
- Essex 15, Cave Spring 8
- Grottoes (champion) and Essex (runner-up) advance.
The quarterfinals and the rest of the tournament will be single elimination. The quarterfinals, originally scheduled for Monday, will be played on Tuesday, July 28, due to the rain delay. The games will be as follows:
- Winner of Pool #1 v. runner-up of Pool #3, 10 a.m., Field 1 (Game 25).
- Winner of Pool #3 v. runner-up of Pool #1, 10 a.m., Field 3 (Game 26).
- Winner of Pool #2 v. runner-up of Pool #4, 1 p.m., Field 1 (Game 27).
- Winner of Pool #4 v. runner-up of Pool #2, 1 p.m., Field 3 (Game 28).
In the semifinal round on Wednesday, July 29, the games will be as follows:
- Winner of Game 25 v. Winner of Game 26, 10 a.m., Field 1.
- Winner of Game 27 v. Winner of Game 28, 10 a.m., Field 3.
The two semifinal winners will play for the championship at about 2 p.m. on Wednesday, July 29, on Field 1. The champion will advance to the Southern Regional at Cartersville, Ga., August 8-12.