Cohick wins Virginia Motor Speedway feature
|Virginia Motor Speedway is a ½-mile dirt oval track located on Route 17. (Photo by Mike Kucera)|
It took three tries to get the 35-lap Victory Lap Late Model feature under way, but once it did Tom Cohick of Gloucester led flag to flag to take home his first victory of 2009 on Revere Gas Night at Virginia Motor Speedway at Jamaica.
Bill Sawyer’s Virginia Motor Speedway will not have racing this weekend so it can host the first of three big Mud Bog events for the 2009 season. Saturday, June 20, will be a day of Mud Mayhem at “The Pit,” which is on the grounds of the speedway. The Pit at VMS is a state of the art mud bog facility featuring 200-foot Mud Bog and Mud Sling pits with permanent seating and lighting. There will be eight classes in action ranging from stock to unlimited with cash payouts in all classes.
Gates and registration open at 8 a.m. with single eliminations for Stock A, B; Modified A, B, C along with X, XX and Unlimited Bog classes starting at noon. Registration for Stock and Modified and Unlimited Bog classes ends at 11 a.m., with X and XX Unlimited ending at 1 p.m. Rules for each class are available online at http://www.thepitatvms.com.
Admission for Saturday’s Mud Bog at The Pit at VMS is $12 for adults, $10 for students ages 7-17, and children age 6 and under are admitted free.
Virginia Motor Speedway is a ½-mile dirt oval track located on Route 17, eight miles north of Saluda at Jamaica. Call (804) 758-1VMS or visit http://www.vamotorspeedway.com for more information.
Race results (top 10) for Revere Gas Night are as follows:
- Late Models (22 entries): 1. Tom Cohick, Gloucester; 2. Ben Bowie, Brandywine, Md.; 3. Anthony Kincaid, Hayes; 4. Brett Carlton, Mechanicsville; 5. Lou Littlepage Jr., Mechanicsville; 6. Davis Lipscombe, Mechanicsville; 7. Ed Pope, Pasadena, Md.; 8. Louie Littlepage, Mechanicsville; 9. Eddie Groome, Stuarts Draft; 10. Brad Rigdon, Chesapeake.
- Sportsman (14 entries): 1. Tony Wood, New Kent; 2. Todd Traylor, King William; 3. J.R. Guy, Mechanicsville, Md.; 4. John Kirby, Sandston; 5. Roger Jamerson, Glen Allen; 6. Kenny Moreland, Waldorf, Md.; 7. Michael Hayes, Ruther Glen; 8. Tommy Upshaw, West Point; 9. Davey Pullen, New Kent; 10. Bruce Wilson, Quinton.
- Modified (20 entries): 1. James Marshall, Saint Leonard, Md.; 2. Dan Arnold, Petersburg; 3. Josh Harris, Gloucester; 4. Brian Maxey, King George; 5. Page Harrison, Jetersville; 6. Brandon Galloway, Gloucester; 7. Mark Schools, Midlothian; 8. Charles Gagnon, Mechanicsville, Md.; 9. Tony Quade, Leonardtown, Md.; 10. Bill Roberts, Mechanicsville.
- Sprint (10 entries): 1. Daren Bolac, Moyock, N.C.; 2. Mary Anne Williams, Chester; 3. Troy Severin, Ashland; 4. Michael Tolley, Ashland; 5. Kyle Pruitt, Ijamsville, Md.; 6. Eric Keck, Providence Forge; 7. Matt Marshall, Stuarts Draft; 8. Scott Davis, Virginia Beach; 9. Tom Humphries, Waynesboro; 10. Matt Stambaugh, Fredericksburg.
- Limited Stock (21 entries): 1. Brett Adkins, Gloucester; 2. Raymond Harper, Gloucester; 3. Sam Archer, Waldorf, Md.; 4. Wesley Givens, New Kent; 5. Gary Wheaton Jr., Stafford; 6. Brandon Sandridge, Mechanicsville; 7. Marty Coltrain, Richmond; 8. Brandon Coates, Warsaw; 9. Joe Ender, Glen Allen; 10. John Hankins Sr., Jamaica.