Subscribe | Advertise
Contact Us | About Us
Submit News

Home · News · Videos · Photos · Community · Sports · School · Church · Obituaries · Classifieds · Supplements · Search


Text size: Large | Small    

Three charged with first-degree murder

On Tuesday, May 28, a Middlesex County grand jury handed down 9 felony indictments charging three men with first-degree murder in the death of Edwin Barry Hughes, 49, of Wake, following an altercation at Bush Park Camp-Resort in Wake on May 11, according to a press release from Major M.E. Sampson of the Middlesex Sheriff’s Office.

One of the grand jury indictments states that the three men “did feloniously kill and murder Edwin Barry Hughes in the commission of abduction, thus constituting murder in the first degree.”

The three men also are charged with felony abduction.

Another indictment states that the three men “did feloniously ‘lynch’ Edwin Barry Hughes, whereby the accused was a person composing a mob, or was an accessory thereto, where by an act of violence by the mob . . . did result in the death.”

Those charged include Phillip ”Bubba” Harris, 57, of Wake; Christopher “Rooster” Fogg, 40, of Aylett; and Jorge Torres, 29, of Yorktown.

Hughes was pronounced dead at Walter Reed Hospital in Gloucester in the early morning hours of May 12 after an altercation with Harris, Fogg and Torres. According to investigators, Harris and Fogg were security guards at the campground and Torres was working the gate at the entrance to the campground.

Hughes, who had paid to attend an event at the campground, was driving his golf cart when he was told by a security guard to turn on his lights while driving his golf cart in the campground. Hughes allegedly got out of his golf cart and pushed the first security guard. Hughes then got back into his golf cart and proceeded to the front gate where he was met by an additional security guard along with Torres. One of the security guards took the keys out of Hughes’s golf cart at which point a physical altercation between Hughes and the three security guards started.

A bystander then called 911 to report the incident while the security guards used force to detain Hughes.

Once deputies arrived on the scene they found Hughes lying face down, unresponsive but with a pulse. Deputies then called for emergency medical personnel to respond. As emergency medical personnel transported Hughes toward Riverside Walter Reed Hospital in Gloucester, they radioed back to the sheriff’s office dispatcher to call and advise the hospital they were arriving with a patient whose body was in full arrest.

According to the Middlesex investigators and the office of the Middlesex Commonwealth’s Attorney, the State Medical Examiner’s office has informed them that Hughes’ death has been determined to be a homicide.

On May 28 Harris and Torres were arrested and Fogg turned himself in to the Middlesex Sheriff’s Office. All three men are being held without bond in the Middle Peninsula Regional Security Center in Saluda. 

posted 05.29.2013

By commenting, you agree to our policy on comments.