Subscribe | Advertise
Contact Us | About Us
Submit News

Home · News · Videos · Photos · Community · Sports · School · Church · Obituaries · Classifieds · Supplements · Search

News



Text size: Large | Small    

Discover historic, rural Jamaica District

image
After the Revolutionary War, Anglicans abandoned the Upper Church building (above) at Church View. Members of Hermitage Baptist Church who had been meeting in a wood-frame “Meeting House” on Route 602 between old Revis Post Office and Route 17 took over the old colonial church building. The church burned in 1948 and the congregation of Hermitage Baptist rebuilt the present church on the original site of the old Anglican church.  (Photo courtesy of Jean Holman)

The following feature on Jamaica District is the third in a series in celebration of the 350th anniversary of Middlesex County.

Jamaica District in Middlesex County is often times considered the forgotten region of the county. Yet, it is perhaps the county’s best kept secret.

When politicians and comprehensive plans for the county speak of the wants of county residents to keep our county rural, Jamaica District is the main area discussed because, geographically, it makes up half the county and is rural.

Jamaica District runs from Laneview at Middlesex/Essex county line to the east, almost to Saluda, the county seat of Middlesex. Church View, Water View, Laneview, Warner, Forest, Revis, Royal Oak, Samos, Chowningsville, Montague Island, and Punch Bowl are all historical locations associated with the district.

Middlesex court records show that as early as 1698 Randolph Segar bequeathed his Jamaica Plantation to his sons John and William, and the woods to his sons John and Oliver. Jamaica Plantation was over 1,000 acres and Jamaica District got its name from this old plantation.

One can only speculate that the name is associated with the Island of Jamaica in the West Indies. Middlesex County’s colonial trade was closely tied to England and the West Indies. The island of Jamaica was settled by the Spanish and Christopher Columbus, who arrived there in 1494. Spain rule ended in 1655 when the British conquered the island.

Through the 17th, 18th and 19th centuries, Segars, Streets, Evanses and Montagues owned Jamaica Plantation. These were politically well-heeled families in the county so when political districts were formed, the upper end became known as Jamaica.

posted 08.16.2018

By commenting, you agree to our policy on comments.