West Point Crab Carnival will be two days of fun
The 26th Annual West Point Crab Carnival will be held Friday, October 3, and Saturday, October 4, in downtown West Point. The event will be hosted by the West Point Chamber of Commerce.
On Friday, October 3, the events are as follows:
• Children’s Tour du Crab.
• Children’s bike races with four age categories. Registration begins at 4 p.m. at the parking lot on the corner of 6th and Main streets. The fee is $3. Races begin at 5 p.m.
• Firemen’s Parade begins at 7 p.m. Parade route is down Main Street from 1st to 10th streets.
• Entertainment includes music by “Wayne Greer and Groove Tide” on the West Point Town Square Stage on 9th Street from 8 to 10 p.m.
• A fireworks display will be at the mouth of the York River at the southern point of downtown West Point at 9:15 p.m.
Saturday, October 4, the events are as follows:
• Breakfast at United Methodist Church on the corner of 11th and Main streets from 6:30 to 10 a.m.
• Woodsmen’s competition with college teams competing from 10 a.m. to 4 p.m. on 9th Street between Main and Kirby streets. Events include ax throwing, bow sawing, log roll, cross cut, chopping and firefighting. Men’s, women’s and coed events.
• Arts and craft vendors will display and sell their products along Main Street from 5th Street to 11th Street. Displays will be set up from 10 a.m. to 6 p.m.
• Food and refreshment vendors will set up from 10 a.m. to 6 p.m. on Main Street between 4th and 11th streets. Food includes steamed blue crabs and crab cakes. Beer will be sold in two contained locations.
• A children’s activities area includes rides and games from 10 a.m. to 6 p.m. on Main Street between 4th and 5th streets.
• Grand Marshal Shirley Olsson will lead bands antique and classic vehicles, baby buggies, school bands, floats, clowns, horses and much more in the parade at 1:30 p.m. The route is down Main Street from 1st to 10th streets.
• St. Johns Episcopal Church offers a comfortable place to feed and change babies. Service runs from noon to 5 p.m.
• The West Point Class of 1988 will hold a reunion during the Crab Carnival,
• Crab runs include a Tot Run, 1.2-mile Fun Run, and the 8K. Racers meet at the West Point Family YMCA at 3135 King William Avenue. On-site registration runs from 7:30 to 8 a.m. Early registration by phone (843-3300).
• Other entertainment includes performances by Shane Cooley, the Bayside Youth Ballet, “Highway 249,” Gina Daniels, and “Swing Bandits.”
• The information booth will be located on Main and 9th streets. Disabled parking is available in the parking lot behind TPMG family practice on 9th Street. Event officials respectfully ask that pets not be brought to the event.
For more information, visit http://www.westpointvachamber.com.