Subscribe | Advertise
Contact Us | About Us
Submit News | PDF Access

Home · News · Videos · Photos · Community · Sports · School · Church · Obituaries · Classifieds · Supplements · Webcam · Search

Community News

Text size: Large | Small   

Water View man taking another plunge for VA Special Olympians

by Tom Chillemi

James Holmes of Water View will be participating in his third Polar Plunge at the Winter Festival in Virginia Beach on February 7-8 to benefit Special Olympics of Virginia.

Holmes said he has always accepted challenges that others are apprehensive about. “I do it not only to support the Special Olympians, but I also do it for me,” said Holmes. “It is my way of giving back to those who are striving to be their best.”

Holmes has an extended family member who has special needs. “Her enthusiasm for life has always impressed me,” he said. “She never had an opportunity to be a Special Olympian but I believe that if she would have been afforded the opportunity she would have given it her all.”

Through his involvement in the Polar Plunge and The Law Enforcement Torch Runs, which are part of the summer USA Games, Holmes hopes to inspire others to get involved and help raise money for an important cause.

While the Virginia Beach Polar Plunge participants are not required to jump into the Atlantic Ocean, Holmes does. “The cold water is really not a shock to me,” he said. “I think it depends on what your perception is and thoughts are before you go into the water. What I have discovered is while waiting to go into the water the air temperature outside of the water is colder than the water itself.”

posted 02.03.2014

By commenting, you agree to our policy on comments.