Subscribe | Advertise
Contact Us | About Us
Submit News | PDF Access

Home · News · Videos · Photos · Community · Sports · School · Church · Obituaries · Classifieds · Supplements · Webcam · Search

Community News

Text size: Large | Small   

Urbanna’s ‘Lights in Honor Tree’ shines brightly

Billy Mayo’s float in Friday’s Urbanna Christmas Parade was pulled by three tiny reindeer. (Photo by Tom Chillemi)
The Urbanna Beautification Committee and local citizens illuminated the “Lights in Honor or Memory Tree” before last Friday’s Christmas Parade.

For a $5 donation, a clear bulb in memory of a loved one, or a red bulb in honor of a special person, will be hung on the town Christmas tree. Remembrances and designees will be published in the Southside Sentinel.

The committee has specified that all funds raised by this event be donated to charity, and this year’s recipient will be Christmas Friends Inc.

See form on page A6 in this weeks paper to dedicate a light, or please send donations and information to Urbanna Christmas Tree, P.O. Box 255, Urbanna, VA 23175.

Recent donations to the tree include:

White lights given in memory of: Syd Thrift by Dolly Thrift; Frankie Wilson by Dolly Thrift; Ray Wilson by Dolly Thrift; Lucy B. Thrift by Dolly Thrift; S.W. Thrift by Dolly Thrift; Phil Simonton by Pete and Joanie Ward; Floyd Ward by Pete and Joanie Ward; Jimmy Childress by Pete and Joanie Ward; Eloise Ford by Pete and Joanie Ward; Ray Burch Sr. by Tony, Lois Jean, Brent, Daniel Brooks and family; Betty Burch by Tony, Lois Jean, Brent, Daniel Brooks and family; Wanda Mae Brooks by Tony, Lois Jean, Brent, Daniel Brooks and family; Gloria Brooks by Tony, Lois Jean, Brent, Daniel Brooks and family; Frank Guzzi by The Original Boathouse Coffee Club; Christian Willaford by The Original Boathouse Coffee Club; Herbert Gray Wyatt Sr. by Betty Allen Chowning; Glen Allen Wyatt by Betty Allen Chowning; Betsy Snead by Ricky, Geanie, Alexandra and Peyton Longest; Dave Aliff by Ricky, Geanie, Alexandra and Peyton Longest; Dick Murray by Ricky, Geanie, Alexandra and Peyton Longest; Edna Mae Bray by Ricky, Geanie, Alexandra and Peyton Longest; my father, Josiah Hank, by Jody Anglin; my mother, Honey Hank, by Jody Anglin; my mother-in-law, Verna Anglin, by Jody Anglin; David Buchanan by Lois Buchanan; Joe and Hyla Cardwell by Joe and Mary Ellen Cardwell; Charles C. Smith by Joe and Mary Ellen Cardwell; Amy Smith Goodwin by Joe and Mary Ellen Cardwell; Ann Ward by Sandra W. Duke; Vernon Ward by Sandra W. Duke; Jerry Ward by Sandra W. Duke; Charlie Mercer by Jim, Mary Kay and family; Louise Mercer by Jim, Mary Kay and family; Avary Payne, ‘Pop-Pop’, by Ricky Walton; Aubrey H. Greene by Wanda Walton; Rev. Luther Baugham by Woody and Peg Davis; Leila Ermarth by Sandra Hovey; my husband, Skeeter Birchard, by Jane Birchard; my sister, Mildred B. Wrightson, by Jane Birchard; my parents, Frank and Mary D. Brown, by Jane Birchard; Sydnor W. Thrift Jr. by Hugh and Louise Owens; Maj. Gen. R.H. Free by Susan Ward; Margaret H. Free by Susan Ward; Betsy Snead by Susan Ward; Gene Wiley by Boyd and Brenda Wiley; Walter Boyd Hurley, Sr. by Margaret Hurley; Corky Lewis by Estelle Lewis; Liz Newbill by Estelle Lewis; Percy M. Rowe by Clara Childress and Phyllis Simonton; Ophelia Robins Rowe by Clara Childress and Phyllis Simonton; Tom and Frances Andrews by Gay Hamlet; Ethan Andrews by Gay Hamlet; Glenn Johnson by Richard and Mary Tucker.

Red lights given in honor of: Jim Thrift by Dolly Thrift; Ryan Thrift by Dolly Thrift; Audrey Thrift by Dolly Thrift; Brandon Thrift by Dolly Thrift; Aaron Thrift by Dolly Thrift; Emma Thrift by Dolly Thrift; Mark Thrift by Dolly Thrift; Steve and Joyce Wilson by Dolly Thrift; Lucy and Richard Chenery by Dolly Thrift; Louise and Hugh Owens by Dolly Thrift; Betty Page and Charles Bristow by Dolly Thrift; my friend, Barbara Nelson, by Dolly Thrift; all our military personnel by Dolly Thrift; Lee Ward by Pete and Joanie Ward; Phyllis Simonton by Pete and Joanie Ward; Clara Childress by Pete and Joanie Ward; Kenneth and Jeannine Rowe by Pete and Joanie Ward; Ron Ward by Pete and Joanie Ward; Shannon and Jeff Kerr by Pete and Joanie Ward; Carson and Mallory Kerr by Pete and Joanie Ward; Gray Wyatt by Betty Allen Chowning; Jane Wyatt Mason by Betty Allen Chowning; my daughter, Lisa Roberts, by Jody Anglin; my son, Christopher Roberts, by Jody Anglin; my son, Morgan Roberts, serving in the U.S. Navy in Bahrain, by Jody Anglin; my husband, Roger Anglin, by Jody Anglin; Jennifer Millington by Lois Buchanan; Ian Millington by Lois Buchanan; McKenna Millington by Lois Buchanan; my friend, Connie Hutchins, by Lois Buchanan; John and Betty Cardwell by Joe and Mary Ellen Cardwell; Lauren Cardwell by Joe and Mary Ellen Cardwell; Urbanna Town Council by Anonymous; Urbanna Town Employees by Anonymous; Major Robert L. Fitch Jr. by Bob and Susan Fitch; Rev. Paul Napier by Woody and Peg Davis; Margaret H. Hurley by Marvin and Susan Fowler.

posted 12.09.2009

By commenting, you agree to our policy on comments.