Turkey Shoot attracts 130 yachts
|Check out this short video about the 2008 Hospice Turkey Shoot Regatta.|
Steve Bowen and Frank Birdsall were overall division winners. Their names will be engraved on the Virginia Spirit Hospice Cup.
Bill Dickson of Urbanna, aboard Victorious, won the Wobbly Compass Trophy for the first wooden boat to cross the finish line in the Sunday pursuit race. The trophy was sponsored by the Riverside Health System.
Hospice of Virginia sailors Lorri Rice, Leslie Yost-Schomer and LuAnne Davis, all of Lancaster County, aboard Spot, were the top fund-raisers. They had never raced before and were assisted by skipper Ruth Bush and Fran Cory of Yankee Point Yacht Club.
Wild Rose, owned by Tom Martin of Richmond, won the Miss Ann’s Choice Trophy for the most beautiful boat. The winner was selected by a vote of the sailors attending the awards ceremony.
As winner of the Lightning Division, Bowen, of Hayes won the right to represent the Turkey Shoot in the National Hospice Regatta next spring in Annapolis. He will compete against winners from all 27 Hospice Regattas around the nation.
Birdsall, of White Stone, won the Flying Cloud Division aboard Spitkit II.
The regatta is a major source of funds for Hospice Support Services of the Northern Neck Inc., according to regatta chairman Allan Young. Other sponsoring Hospices which receive funds from the regatta are Hospice Support Care of Middlesex County and Riverside Hospice Agencies of Tappahannock and Gloucester.
Yankee Point Marina hosted the event.
The total amount of funds raised this year was not available at press time.
First-place winners by fleet, boat and skipper are:
- Fleet A, Dream On, Steve Bowen of Hayes.
- Fleet B, Lona B, Carey Hardesty of Norfolk.
- Fleet C, Jacqueline, Matt Guthrie/Bill Johnson of Kilmarnock.
- Fleet D, Whistler, Warren Ryan of Lancaster.
- Fleet E, Country Woman, Norm Faulkner of Irvington.
- Fleet F, Poe Bird, Lee Williams of Irvington.
- Fleet G, Spitkit II, Frank Birdsall of White Stone.
- Fleet H, Windkeeper, Bob Bland/Richard Gill of Lancaster.
- Fleet I, Scuba Kat, Mike Chesser of Disputanta.
- Fleet J, Cahoots, Mike and Cathleen Conroy of Weems.
- Fleet K, Petite Amie, Sam Nuckols, of Lancaster.
- Fleet L, Friday’s Child, John Friday of Irvington.