Subscribe | Advertise
Contact Us | About Us
Submit News

Home · News · Videos · Photos · Community · Sports · School · Church · Obituaries · Classifieds · Supplements · Search

Community News

Text size: Large | Small   

Tax volunteers to be in Deltaville twice in March

Tax-Aide volunteers complete final preparations for 2010 tax season. From left, they are Bob Plummer, Ed Merz, Bob Howe, Chris Brown, Godwin Jones, Louise Caldwell and Wynne Beale.

Tax-Aide volunteers will be at the Deltaville Library on Tuesdays, March 8 and March 29. The program is available to taxpayers with low and moderate income with special attention to ages 60 and older. It is a free, quality, volunteer-run assistance and preparation service that can transmit federal and state returns directly to the IRS. 

Income limits on some credits have been extended and more taxpayers are now eligible. There are many people on the Middle Peninsula with up to $43,000 income who may meet the criteria for credits such as earned income credit but do not properly file. The Tax-Aide volunteers are especially trained to assist with this.

Volunteers are also available every Monday in the Gloucester Library (call 693-2998 for appointment), every Wednesday in Bethany United Methodist Church at Gloucester Point (no appointment needed) and every Friday at the Mathews Library (no appointment needed). Special Saturday appointments are available on March 5 and 19 and April 2 at the Gloucester Library (call 693-2998 for appointment).

While this is a program sponsored by AARP, membership in AARP is not a requirement. The program serves all age groups with low to moderate income. Please note that taxpayers with complex tax returns will be advised to seek professional tax assistance.

Taxpayers seeking assistance need to bring social security cards or official documentation for themselves and all dependents, copy of last years returns, W-2 forms from each employer, unemployment compensation statements, SSA-1099 form if Social Security payments were received, all 1099 forms (1099-INT, 1099-DIV, 1099-MISC, etc.) showing interest and/or dividends, 1099-R forms if a pension or annuity was received, as well as documentations showing the original purchase price of assets sold. Additionally, they should bring all forms indicating federal income tax withheld, childcare provider information (name, employer ID or social security number), receipts or canceled checks if itemizing, and social security numbers for all dependents.

posted 03.02.2011

By commenting, you agree to our policy on comments.