Subscribe | Advertise
Contact Us | About Us
Submit News

Home · News · Videos · Photos · Community · Sports · School · Church · Obituaries · Classifieds · Supplements · Webcam · Search

Community News

Text size: Large | Small   

Queen contestant helps cancer patients

Urbanna Oyster Festival Queen contestant Sarah Daniel recently presented a donation to the Rappahannock General Hospital Cancer Center with money she raised through bake sales at RGH. Above, from left, are Ann Gumina, RGH vice president of nursing; Daniel; Connie Deagle, RGH nurse manager of The Cancer Center; and Bernie Lockstampfor, RGH vice president of finances.

The community service project of Urbanna Oyster Festival Queen contestant Sarah Daniel was to sponsor several bake sales at Rappahannock General Hospital in Kilmarnock. The funds generated have been donated to the RGH Cancer Center.

“I chose to donate money to the RGH Cancer Center because my grandfather received treatment every six weeks for four years until he died,” said Daniel. “Also, my family recently found out that my grandmother will have to receive chemotherapy and, most importantly, I just wanted to do my part in providing funds to those who are not as fortunate as us.

“I want to ensure that we keep this organization open to our community,” said Daniel. “If we don’t have it, cancer patients will have to go to Richmond or Newport News, which would really put a hardship on them.

“I want to thank all the people who baked and bought from the bake sales,” she said. “They made the sale a success.

“As you are reading this article I’m sure you can think of someone, perhaps a loved one, a friend of a friend, or someone who would benefit from RGH. The cancer center treats its patients as family and makes sure they always feel welcome. If you can think of one person in need, I encourage and challenge you to make a donation from the heart to the cancer center.

All donations should be made out to RGH Cancer Center Financial Assistance Fund, and sent to the attention of Connie Deagle, The Cancer Center, RGH, P.O. Box 1449, Kilmarnock, VA 22482.

posted 08.19.2009

By commenting, you agree to our policy on comments.