Subscribe | Advertise
Contact Us | About Us
Submit News

Home · News · Videos · Photos · Community · Sports · School · Church · Obituaries · Classifieds · Supplements · Search

Community News

Text size: Large | Small   

Oyster Festival contestant raises funds for young CHD patient

Kelleigh Seay and her Little Miss Spat contestant Ryleigh O’Bier

Urbanna Oyster Festival Queen contestant Kelleigh Seay and her Little Miss Spat contestant Ryleigh O’Bier came together to raise awareness of Congenital Heart Defect (CHD) and to raise money for youngster Waylen Cheatham to help cover his medical expenses.

After talking to Waylen’s mom Stephanie and finding out more about Waylen’s heart ailment, Kelleigh knew it was the right choice. “I know that having a child who has a heart problem has to be hard on a parent and medical expenses aren’t cheap. I just knew this would be such a great experience for Ryleigh and me to learn more about Heart Heroes.”

Their first fundraiser was a yard/bake/vendor sale in Urbanna. This first bake sale was a success but it was mainly to get the word out about what Kelleigh and Ryleigh were doing and who it was for. Kelleigh had some vendors come and also had a bunch of people donate baked goods and yard sale items. Ryleigh and Kelleigh were so excited that Waylen and his mom showed up! “We got a chance to take them around to all the vendors and introduce them and just give them more of a feel of what we were doing and who it was for.”

This first fundraiser raised a little over $300.

Their second fundraiser was a bake sale at Big John’s Store in Church View. This bake sale was an informative bake sale about Kelleigh and Ryleigh’s upcoming golf tournament. They had tournament flyers made to give to businesses and people who came to the bake sale.

Their third event was the golf tournament that was held at Piankatank River Golf Club in Hartfield. “This event was one of our biggest successes. We had 18 total teams. I was so happy with the turnout and with how many people and businesses showed their love and support with this event,” said Kelleigh. They raised a little over $4,000. 

Their fourth fundraiser was another bake sale at Big John’s Store. “This final fundraiser was just to raise a little bit more money to reach our goal to be able to present a check to Waylen and his parents,” said Kelleigh.

During high school, Kelleigh decided in 10th grade she wanted to join the criminal justice program through RCC. “I quickly learned that that wasn’t the route for me and my 11th grade year I started the nursing program, also through RCC, and have obtained my CNA license,” she said. 

After she graduates she plans to attend the RCC nursing program.

Kelleigh’s aunt is Wilma Williams of Water View, her mother is Linda Hungate of Urbanna, her father (deceased) is Joe Seay of Topping, grandparents are Lee and Kay Seay of Hardyville, her two sisters are Amber Seay and Jessica Hoggard, and her brother is D.J. Bleeker.

Ryleigh’s parents are Tiffany and Michael O’Bier; grandparents, Scott and Diana Insley of Topping, George and Brenda Insley, Michael and Debra O’Bier of Wicomico Church, and Tony and Jennifer Davis of Newport News; little brother, Rowan O’Bier.

Ryleigh’s favorite things are swimming and playing with her little brother. She wants to be a chef when she grows up. 

posted 10.31.2017

By commenting, you agree to our policy on comments.