Subscribe | Advertise
Contact Us | About Us
Submit News

Home · News · Videos · Photos · Community · Sports · School · Church · Obituaries · Classifieds · Supplements · Webcam · Search

Community News



Text size: Large | Small   

Old Stampers Store to be demolished

image

Story and photos by Larry S. Chowning

This video shows the old Stampers Store and Post Office being demolished.
image
In the February 13, 1986 issue of the Southside Sentinel, Larry Chowning wrote about the Stampers Store as part of the “Roadside Vacancies” series.  Click on the above image to read the article as it appeared in 1986.
Old Stampers Store at the intersection of Routes 3 and 630 at Hartfield is scheduled to be demolished this week as part of VDOT’s improvements to Stampers Bay Road (Route 630), the cut-through road from Hartfield to Deltaville.

Willie LeCompte, who was born in 1890, had the store built in 1913. Stampers Post Office was opened in the store on May 26, 1915 and LeCompte became the first postmaster.

When LeCompte was drafted in World War I, Luther J. Keiningham took over as postmaster in August of 1918. LeCompte returned from the war and was named postmaster again in 1921.

Lena Thomas was the postmaster at Stampers from 1925 to 1938.

The post office was discontinued in February 1938 when mail in that area was redirected to Wilton. 

However, the post office at Stampers was reestablished in April of 1939 when Rosaline Collier became postmaster.

The post office was discontinued for good in August 31, 1944 when mail was shifted to Hartfield. 

LeCompte named the store after Stampers Bay, a narrow straight of water just inside Berkeley Island on the Piankatank River. A steamboat landing in that area carried the name and the shelves of the general merchandise store were stocked with goods from Baltimore brought by steamboat and off-loaded at nearby Stampers Landing.

The old neighborhood post office and store was built in the days when roads and mass transportation were lacking. Such country stores played an important part of each little community in Middlesex.

Construction started this week on the widening and straightening of Route 630.

posted 02.10.2010

By commenting, you agree to our policy on comments.