Subscribe | Advertise
Contact Us | About Us
Submit News

Home · News · Videos · Photos · Community · Sports · School · Church · Obituaries · Classifieds · Supplements · Webcam · Search

Community News

Text size: Large | Small   

Miller elected president of VACO

Jack Miller

Jack Miller, the Harmony Village District representative on the Middlesex County Board of Supervisors, was elected president of Virginia Association of Counties (VACO) on November 13 at the group’s 78th annual conference in Bath County.

Miller is only the second Middlesex supervisor to ever be elected to this prestigious post. In 1953, Pinetop District supervisor W. Earl Daniel was elected president of the Virginia League of Counties, which is now the VACO. 

“It truly humbles me to think that the VACO membership entrusts me enough to elect me president,” said Miller. “I will work hard at it. I believe you only get back what you put in.”

Miller has served as Middlesex County supervisor for 17 years and was elected chairman of the board five times during this tenure. He also served as vice chair of the board five times.

“I feel blessed every day that I’m able to serve my constituents, not only through large county issues, but with their individual problems as well,” said Miller. “Middlesex County is where I was born, where I grew up, where I got married, and where I raised my family. It’s home.”

Miller was elected to the VACO Board of Directors in 2003 as the Region 2 representative. He also served as secretary and vice president of VACO.

He and his wife Mary Lou have been married for 45 years. They live at Locust Hill and have two children and two grandchildren.

Miller is a 1967 graduate of Middlesex High School and is retired from the pulp mill in West Point.

Miller is a heart transplant recipient and throughout numerous health issues has shown a great deal of grit as he continued to serve his community as a supervisor and now VACO president.

posted 11.26.2012

By commenting, you agree to our policy on comments.