Subscribe | Advertise
Contact Us | About Us
Submit News

Home · News · Videos · Photos · Community · Sports · School · Church · Obituaries · Classifieds · Supplements · Search

Community News

Text size: Large | Small   

Middlesex dog licenses on sale

Now is the time to get a license for your dog in Middlesex County.

Licenses are $4 for spayed females or male dogs, and $5 for all other pets. All dogs older than 4 months old must be licensed.

“A dog license is a simple, inexpensive and powerful tool to make a reunion with a lost pet more likely,” said Ricky Warren, Middlesex County’s chief animal control officer and head of the county animal shelter. “Owners who buy a dog license and attach it to a collar that is on the dog aren’t just complying with Virginia law, they’re protecting their property rights and may be doing something that will save their pet’s life.”

If an unlicensed dog comes to the animal shelter, state law provides that ownership of the animal transfers to the county after 5 to 10 business days. The county then may arrange an adoption.

“Since a rabies vaccination is required, a dog license also provides assurance that the pet won’t transmit that disease and is protected if attacked by another animal,” Warren said.

New and renewal licenses may be purchased at the Middlesex Treasurer’s Office or by mail. The treasurer’s office is located in the Woodward Building at the Saluda Courthouse Complex (phone 758-5302). The address is P.O. Box 182, Saluda, VA 23149. Mail-in applications must include a stamped, self-addressed envelope so the license tag and documents can be returned to the owner.

A completed 2009 dog license application, a rabies vaccination certificate signed by a veterinarian, and proof of neutering or spaying, if applicable, are required. You may download and print an application from, then click on animal control, and then click on dog license tags.

Dog owners may also get tags at Countryside Animal Hospital in Saluda or Hartfield Animal Hospital, if these hospitals are one’s regular veterinarians.

All kennel licenses must be processed at the treasurer’s office.

posted 01.22.2009

By commenting, you agree to our policy on comments.