Subscribe | Advertise
Contact Us | About Us
Submit News | PDF Access

Home · News · Videos · Photos · Community · Sports · School · Church · Obituaries · Classifieds · Supplements · Webcam · Search

Community News

Text size: Large | Small   

Maritime Museum Farmers’ Market this Saturday

by Nature Girl and Kaptain Krunch

It’s calendar time; get yours out and mark these dates.

The next Farmers’ Market is set for Saturday, June 27, from 9 a.m. to 1 p.m. It’s looking very good that we’ll have produce at the market and we’ll be moving it under the trees back by the creek. 

July 4th marks the 100th celebration of Deltaville, and the DCA is planning a great day along with the parade and fireworks. Please support the fireworks with a donation to the DCA.

Saturday, July 11, is a busy day with Kid’s  Explorer Day from 10 a.m. to 4  p.m. and Groovin’ with “The Orderlies” from 6 to 8 p.m. Family Boatbuilding Week begins Sunday, July 12, and ends on Saturday, July 18, with the fish fry and boat race in the afternoon.

Tuesdays continue to be gardening days from 9 a.m. to noon.  We are really “blooming” with all the rain and there’s always a weed to pull. I’ll be gone next week, but if you have a question about what’s growing at Holly Point, don’t hesitate to give a call and I’ll get back with you. 

The VCE Middlesex Master Gardeners will be at the Farmers’ Market to help with any gardening questions.

But the buzz is that Bubba is exploding.  What’s Bubba? Come to the park, head out to the front field and take a walk around the fish-shaped wildflower meadow. 

And now to another wildflower, here’s Krunch, or is he a weed?

Well Octomon or Octogon or whatever (Occoquan.ed) is behind us and the Explorer death march is off to Historic St. Mary’s City this weekend.

St. Mary’s, the original capital of Maryland, is hosting a gala affair for their 375th anniversary—bands, fireworks, boats of all sizes and ages. Why there will even be a visit by Captain John Smith and his merry band.

Captain Bill will be in attendance aboard “Lillian B,” fresh from the railway. Built Maryland style, with fore and aft planking, this Potomac River dory still has that workboat magic. Now I sure hope it has a gas grill ‘cause that rowing makes me “hongray.” Explorer will be back at the museum next week until our next gig. Meanwhile, let’s get up a sailing crew and explore the Piankatank River!

I hope you got to visit Sultana yesterday. These are the same guys who built that other shallop, the one with all the press. A friendly rivalry has ensued and I’m sure more “rendezvous” will follow. “What do you have with two sailboats? A race!”

I’ve been appointed grand guru of the Heritage Day float. While Nellie and the locals are educating everyone with Deltaville history, the boys and I will be bringing on some silly. We are even invited to the Irvington Parade. You know, “Of Irvington,” Our big chance to smooze across the river.

posted 06.23.2009

By commenting, you agree to our policy on comments.