Subscribe | Advertise
Contact Us | About Us
Submit News

Home · News · Videos · Photos · Community · Sports · School · Church · Obituaries · Classifieds · Supplements · Webcam · Search

Community News

Text size: Large | Small   

Library wants to replace cookbooks with errors

by Sherry Inabinet
MCPL Cookbook Chair

Thank you for the wonderful response to the library cookbook! I have really appreciated all of your phone calls and comments regarding your delight with the book. The committee worked very hard to produce a quality book that you would be proud to own. Four or more committee members proofed the book before we sent it to the publisher. We wanted to make sure the ingredients and directions for each recipe were correct, and we wanted to correct all misspellings.

When we received the proof back five people proofread the book and we sent part, and I hand delivered the remainder of the corrected copy to the printer. They printed the book in two printings and mailed each printing separately.

Unfortunately, when they did the second printing, their computer picked up their uncorrected typed copy for the first 16 pages. These pages had 18 typos, including the spelling of Urbanna on the title page (the printer’s physical location is close to Urbana, Iowa). We had opened first printing boxes and everything looked great and were unaware that all books had not been printed at the same time.

We placed the second printing boxes on top of the first printing boxes, which meant that we sold these first—at the Oyster Festival and in the library during the week after the Oyster Festival. Thanks to Carolyn Boxley who noted that Urbanna was spelled wrong. I immediately figured out what had happened and called the printers. They are very apologetic and have sent the corrected pages. I have made arrangements with a nearby company to remove the incorrect pages and replace them with the correct ones. 

Please check your cookbook(s) as soon as possible. If Urbanna is spelled incorrectly on the title page, please bring your books to either the Urbanna or Deltaville Branch Library as soon as possible and the library will give you a corrected copy.  Then we will get the corrections made in the faulty books.  The library really hopes you will return the books. We do not want someone looking at our book in the present or future and thinking that we did a sloppy job. If you know of people who bought copies of the book at the Oyster Festival, please tell them about the problem. Incidentally, all typos are in the first 16 pages and do not affect the recipes.

We apologize for this inconvenience. We are really upset about this and want to make it right.  Certainly to error is human and to forgive is divine. Thanks!

posted 11.27.2011

By commenting, you agree to our policy on comments.