Subscribe | Advertise
Contact Us | About Us
Submit News | PDF Access

Home · News · Videos · Photos · Community · Sports · School · Church · Obituaries · Classifieds · Supplements · Webcam · Search

Community News

Text size: Large | Small   

Kim Lemon helps raise $6.8 million to fight cancer

Kim Lemon (second from left) with former and current Redskinettes.

Kim Lemon of Urbanna recently completed the 2-day, 39-mile Avon Walk for Breast Cancer in Washington, D.C. Over 3,000 participants helped raise more than $6.8 million to fund research and education.

Lemon is a former Washington Redskins cheerleader.

Lemon was diagnosed with breast cancer in 2006. “The initial shock of it all really rocks your world,” she said. Fortunately, her cancer was detected early and she is doing well.

With the help of the Washington Redskin cheerleaders, Kim put together a team to walk for the cause. “I was excited to do this,” she said. “It was a way for me to identify with the diagnosis of cancer. This is not just about me, it’s about a lot of others who are not as fortunate.”

Since it was founded in 1955, the Avon Foundation has been committed to the mission to improve the lives of women and their families. Now past the half century milestone, the Avon Foundation brings this mission to life through two key areas of focus: breast cancer and domestic violence. For more information, visit http://www.avonfoundation.org or call 1-866-505-AVON.

posted 05.08.2009

By commenting, you agree to our policy on comments.