Subscribe | Advertise
Contact Us | About Us
Submit News | PDF Access

Home · News · Videos · Photos · Community · Sports · School · Church · Obituaries · Classifieds · Supplements · Webcam · Search

Community News

Text size: Large | Small   

Keith to perform Saturday in Deltaville

Steve Keith

by Bill Powell
Special Events Director
Deltaville Maritime Museum

Deltaville Maritime Museum and Holly Point Nature Park’s popular music series Groovin’ in the Park continues with well-known musician Steve Keith this Saturday, August 1, from 6 to 8 p.m.
With many local performances at Donk’s Theater and the Sandpiper Reef in Mathews, the Mooring in Kinsale, Urbanna and other localities, Keith has a loyal following of area fans.

Beginning his professional music career at the age of 19 with legendary blues man Babe Stovall, Keith won many banjo and fiddle contest throughout the South and West. During the 1980s he played as sideman with such well known musicians as Jerry Jeff Walker, Mason Williams and David Bromberg. He often shared the stage and played on albums for Willie Nelson, Leon Russell, Waylon Jennings and Townes Van Zandt.

Keith began his solo career in the 1990s, playing concerts around the country and in Canada, England and Ireland. Living aboard his sailboat “Rocinante,” he currently plays between the city of New Orleans and the Chesapeake Bay, where Annapolis, Md., is his home port.

Keith has written and produced three CDs: “Little Hinkly Yawl,” “Fresh Fish,” and “All Kinds.”

“I enjoy people,” said Keith. “I’m often out there on the water with sailors, fishermen, doctors and lawyers. I mingle with so many different kinds of people. I don’t choose to confine myself to the world of music and I think that shows in the way I relate to my audience. There can be a real give-and-take between us when I tap into what we humans all have in common, using that to mix music, lyrics and humor in the right proportions.”

For more on Keith and his music, visit http://www.stevekeith.com.

Following Keith on the Groovin’ schedule is jazz guitarist Joshua Walker on August 22.

The 36-acre Holly Point Nature Park is open dawn to dusk and encourages folks to come out early, picnic, and enjoy the gardens, Pierwalk, nature trails and museum. The museum is open 10 a.m. to 4 p.m. on Saturday, and advance and “anytime” concert tickets are available inside. Groovin’ concerts are “cooler friendly” events. Bring lawn chairs or blankets. There is a dedicated blanket area down front. A limited number of folding chairs and picnic tables will be available on the waterfront and more picnic tables are under the nearby Log Canoe Pavilion—Groovin’s rain shelter.

Tickets for Saturday’s performance are $10 at the door or can be bought in groups of five “anytime/anyway” tickets for $30, a $20 savings. Children under 12 are admitted free.

Tickets may also be purchased by mail by calling the museum at 776-7200 and leaving name and address, or at Nauti Nell’s in Deltaville. All proceeds directly benefit the museum and park.
Deltaville Maritime Museum and Holly Point Nature Park, an all-volunteer, all-donation, non-profit organization, is in Deltaville at 287 Jackson Creek Road and on Mill Creek. Follow the Groovin’ signs, turn right across from NAPA.

To find out more about the museum and upcoming events, or to become a member, visit http://www.deltavilleva.com and click museumpark, or Google “Deltaville Maritime Museum.”

posted 07.30.2009

By commenting, you agree to our policy on comments.