Subscribe | Advertise
Contact Us | About Us
Submit News

Home · News · Videos · Photos · Community · Sports · School · Church · Obituaries · Classifieds · Supplements · Search

Community News

Text size: Large | Small   

‘Horses’ stand proud at Deltaville maritime park

Melissa Moss and her daughter Carly listen as Wicomico Forge sculptor John Latell describes part of his creative process for the horse sculptures she commissioned for the maritime park’s “Wildflower Meadow.” These remarkable  sculptures were installed this past Saturday morning.

“My mother, Sharon, loved horses! She always wanted some of her own. There were five near her place in North Carolina. She used to go out every day with granola bars, sugar cubes and carrots in her pocket and feed them,” said Melissa Moss, her eyes glistening. “She planned to have her own when we moved to Virginia but we lost her before it could happen. Now, my mother has her horses!

“I wanted to imbue her spirit into something beautiful that would define her nature, and at the same time have her memory grace a place of happiness, carrying her gentle and loving nature into posterity,” continued Melissa.

Melissa and her daughter Carly watched, maybe a little nervously, as sculptor John Latell, and men and equipment from Deltaville Boat Yard carefully placed the two full-sized sculptures she commissioned and donated into the “Wildflower Meadow” of Holly Point Nature Park. Holly Point Nature Park is the botanical setting for the Deltaville Maritime Museum and its exhibits.

“John has really captured the essence and feel of the horses my mother so loved. He spent so much time with sketches and drawings to make sure he sculpted something really special,” said Melissa. “I wanted to give something unique to the Park in mother’s memory and these sculptures are more than I had ever hoped. She would love them!”

Latell commented, “I’m so happy that I was able to fulfill Melissa’s vision of both the ‘horses’ and of what she wanted for her mother.”

Museum past-president Gene Ruark worked closely with John and Melissa toward the successful completion of the project.

These stunning horse figures are now a major feature of the meadow area around the Stoll Wildflower Pavilion, which is located at the north end of the multi-acre “Wildflower Meadow.” The meadow is part of the many trails and gardens of Holly Point Park. 

All are invited to come out and be amazed.

Next up at the museum will be the 4th annual Easter Egg Hunt at 2 p.m. on Saturday, April 7, with hayrides to follow.

Deltaville Maritime Museum and Holly Point Nature Park is a non-profit organization at 287 Jackson Creek Road and on Mill Creek. Turn right off Route 33 across from the Shell Station to get there.

Holly Point Nature Park, the Pierwalk and all other outside exhibits, gardens and facilities are open dawn to dusk throughout the year, except during pre-announced private events.

To find out more, visit http://www.deltavillemuseum.com, email or call 776-7200.

posted 03.28.2012

By commenting, you agree to our policy on comments.