Subscribe | Advertise
Contact Us | About Us
Submit News | PDF Access

Home · News · Videos · Photos · Community · Sports · School · Church · Obituaries · Classifieds · Supplements · Webcam · Search

Community News

Text size: Large | Small   

Deltaville Maritime Museum

by Kaptain Krunch

And they’re off! Amid the acrid smoke of the starting cannon, the sixth annual Family Boatbuilding Week rowing race sailed into history. Builders from far and near competed for the coveted first to finish prize. We divided this year into under and over 12 years and wouldn’t you know the under 12 was first to finish. 

“Summer Dink” nosed out the alumni boat “Just Chillin’” with the Jones boys only three feet behind. Our own ringer—a Hawaiian war canoe paddler—couldn’t get the rhythm. “Why are you backwards?” Women. 

Last and leakiest was the Northern Neck “Y Cru-zer.” Nevertheless, all the boats were beautifully finished. The best boat award was really a tossup. The complete list is as follows:

• “Ticky,” Steffi Smith (war canoe babe), Farthest Away.

• “Y Cru-zer,” Nic-kle (supervisor), Leakiest.

• “PB & J,” Beck, Youngest Helper.

• “Summer Dink,” Burtnette, First to Finish.

• “Crab Cake,” Cougill, Waterman’s Award.

• “Hermanas,” Gonzalez, Most Family.

• “Jaws,” Wes Summerfield, Worst Color.

• “Sandy Girl,” Dyson, Best in Finish.

I’d like to compliment the builders and particularly our volunteers who made this year a breeze. I think we are finally getting it right, or was that wright? We should have a video available soon.

They now number 75, these little beauties. I have the first one, now six years old and requiring no maintenance beyond an annual painting. Try that with your fiberglass lumpcraft.

We already have two signed up for next year, so pony up early to assure a build spot for 2009.

The shameless commerce division can’t believe people aren’t fighting over the “Valerie Lin,” our 42’ fishing deadrise with a smooth running Cummins diesel and all the charter gear. This is a quality deadrise at a fire-sale price—only $10,000. When we get blessed by the Coast Guard, that price will surely double. Let’s see some deposits.

Next week—a letter from paradise.

posted 08.01.2008

By commenting, you agree to our policy on comments.