Deltaville Heritage Day features events all day long
The 25th annual Deltaville Heritage Day will be held on Saturday, July 6, with activities beginning at 8 a.m. with the Deltaville 5K and Kids Run and continuing into the evening with Deltaville Deltas and Old-Timers baseball games at Deltaville Ballpark.
This year’s theme is “Celebrating Our Continued History” and most events will be held on the grounds of the Deltaville Community Association (DCA), which also is the sponsor of Heritage Day.
The Kids Fun Run starts at 8 a.m., followed by the Deltaville 5K at 8:30 a.m. During the 5K race, the Middlesex YMCA will provide Kiddie Corral child care.
As in past years, the 5K course will follow Route 33 and Lover’s Lane from 8:30-9:30 a.m. At the start of the race, expect a minor traffic delay on Route 33. During the race, two-way traffic will be maintained on Route 33, with runners sharing a coned portion of the road. Since Lover’s Lane is a narrower secondary road, residents and visitors are asked to not travel that portion of the course during the race if possible.
Walk-up signup is on Friday, July 5, from 1-8 p.m, across from the Deltaville Community Center, and resumes at 6:30 a.m. the following morning, race day, July 6.
The times and places of other activities are as follows:
- 9 a.m.-4 p.m.—Art, and craft and food vendors will be set up on the DCA grounds.
- 9 a.m.—Pet Parade, organized by Theresa Linn and Thyra Harris will begin on the DCA grounds.
- 9:45 a.m.—Children’s Parade, which includes the categories of strollers, walkers, bikes and floats, will be held on the DCA grounds.
- 10:30 a.m.—Crab Races (12 races with a free t-shirt from Deltaville Yachting Center awarded to every winner) will be held on the DCA grounds. The crabs will be donated by J&W Seafood, and the event is organized by Onna and Lew Grimm, assisted by Bob Walker and Debbie Holloman.
- 11 a.m.—“Positive Mental Attitude,” an acoustic duo based in Middlesex, will perform again on center stage with their ukulele and guitar.
- 11 a.m.—DCA swimming pool will open for the entire day, and there will be no charge to swim.
- 2 p.m.—Parade on Route 33 begins at the Middlesex County Volunteer Rescue Squad building and will be led by grand marshals Ruth Benson and Edward Harrow. Other participants in the parade include the Richmond Acca Shriners, numerous floats by local businesses, new and antique cars, local and visiting fire trucks and rescue units.
- 5 p.m.—the Deltaville Deltas play the Peninsula Pirates at Deltaville Ballpark. Following this game, the Worth Tour Stadium Group will put on a home run derby demonstration using softballs hit 400-plus feet. Then, a team of former Deltas take on a team of former Tappahannock Tides, all from the 1980s to 1990s eras. Call Jerry Crittenden at 804-241-5630 for more information on ballpark events.
There will be no fireworks sponsored by the DCA this year, according to DCA officials.
For other information on Heritage Day, contact Kris Scherrer at 776-7117 or Bob Walker at 694-9139.