Subscribe | Advertise
Contact Us | About Us
Submit News

Home · News · Videos · Photos · Community · Sports · School · Church · Obituaries · Classifieds · Supplements · Webcam · Search

Community News

Text size: Large | Small   

Curator of Vietnam Veterans Memorial to speak

On June 4, Rappahannock Westminster-Canterbury in Irvington will host the final presentation in its Viewpoints 2012 series. Duery Felton Jr., curator of the Vietnam Veterans Memorial Collection, will speak about the collection and share photos and other images of some of the artifacts.

Maria Ferrand, senior resident life coordinator at RWC, arranged for Felton’s presentation. “I read an article about him in the American Legion magazine last year. The article caught my eye because my father served in Vietnam. I had been to the Wall several times and wondered about the items I saw. When we finally connected over the phone, I was very impressed with his passion for the service he performs. I believe everyone who hears his story and the story about of the collection will be moved.”

Felton, a native of Washington, D.C., has worked for the National Park Service in the National Capital Region for more than 20 years. He is a U.S. Army veteran who served in Vietnam as a radio operator in the 1st Infantry Division and was wounded during combat operations near the Cambodian border.

The items in the collection are especially important to him because they are remembrances of the sacrifice so many of his comrades made in what remains America’s most unpopular war. Many of them have been left by “the Wall,” as the memorial is often called, by veterans and their families. Others have been sent to Felton directly by people as tributes to the men and women who served in Southeast Asia during the 1960s and 1970s.

This free Viewpoints presentation begins at 11 a.m. and is held in the auditorium at RWC at 132 Lancaster Drive, Irvington. Attendees are invited to remain after the presentation for a complimentary buffet luncheon. Reservations are required, as space is limited. To give everyone interested an equal opportunity to reserve a seat, those wishing to attend are asked to call 438-4000 on or after May 21. RWC maintains a waiting list and will honor reservations in the order received. Separate reservations must be made for each event.

posted 05.16.2012

By commenting, you agree to our policy on comments.