Subscribe | Advertise
Contact Us | About Us
Submit News

Home · News · Videos · Photos · Community · Sports · School · Church · Obituaries · Classifieds · Supplements · Webcam · Search

Community News

Text size: Large | Small   

Community health education is a priority for YMCA

The Middlesex Family YMCA on Route 33 in Hartfield

With the New Year we welcome another chance at fresh beginnings, and one common thread connects us all—the freedom to make new choices. With the liberty to choose our own path towards well being, freedom from the growing threat of preventative diseases is in our own hands. We have been given the opportunity to decide, as much as one can, what type of life will I live? Will I live a life burdened by disease and illness or will I make every effort to discover my best way to live each day?

A recurring theme in health care and politics is the untapped potential of prevention. With our health-care system bracing for the unknown effects of childhood obesity and diabetes, the solution will never rest in the remedy of treatment. Rather, the opportunity to create lasting change, saving lives, dollars and the quality of life for so many, rests in our own innate ability to make a simple decision. Do I choose well being for myself, my family and my future?

This template to shift the dynamic of community health awareness is one that our Y is focusing upon as a strategic target for improving the overall quality of life for Middlesex County residents. It is an objective that will only be accomplished through partnerships with local physicians and schools. We have made valuable headway towards achieving this objective, but have yet to scratch the surface of the possible impact for improving health here in Middlesex.

The YMCA is a 501(c)3 charity, which is generously supported by funding from our local community and grant foundations.

Read the rest of this story in this week’s Southside Sentinel at newstands throughout the county, or sign up here to receive a print and/or electronic pdf subscription.

posted 01.16.2013

By commenting, you agree to our policy on comments.