Christmas Friends delivers gifts to 300
Send donations to Christmas Friends Inc., P.O. Box 549, Urbanna, VA 23175
A special thanks goes out to the Christmas Friends delivery volunteers who showed up in force Sunday afternoon. The deliveries were made a day later than expected because of Saturday’s snow, sleet and rain.
Santa’s “sleighs” still endured a lot of snowy and muddy roads until the job was completed Sunday and Monday, and only one van was briefly stuck in a soft spot. “Christmas Friends really appreciates the extra effort by everyone to get the gifts delivered before Christmas,” said organization president Fred Gaskins.
The community donated another $4,445.67 last week to bring this year’s total donations to Christmas Friends to $24,684.67—about $300 short of the $25,000 goal.
So far this season, $28,900 has been spent by Christmas Friends, said Gaskins. Donations are needed because this year Christmas Friends helped about 300 needy children or elderly Middlesex residents, more than usual.
The $32,939.82 donated in 2008 enabled Christmas Friends to increase the amount allotted for gifts this year by an average 15% per recipient.
“Donations are still being accepted and will enable our volunteer shoppers to get an early start next year,” said Gaskins.
Since its creation in 1986, a key ingredient to the success of Christmas Friends has been its partnership with the Middlesex County Department of Social Services, which carefully screens all applicants for eligibility. Applicants must meet strict income guidelines.
All funds donated to Christmas Friends go directly to help the needy children and disabled or low-income elderly of Middlesex. All workers are volunteers and there are no administrative fees. Supplies such as boxes, wrapping paper, tape, copying paper, envelopes and delivery bags are all donated and volunteers supply storage space, vans and fuel to assist with the big delivery job.
Now completing its 24th year, Christmas Friends is a 501(c)(3) organization. Tax-deductible donations may be made payable to Christmas Friends Inc., c/o Southside Sentinel, P.O. Box 549, Urbanna, VA 23175.
Contributors will be recognized as Christmas Friends and their donations will be listed in the Sentinel. Contributors who wish to remain anonymous should request that their donations be listed as such. Memorial contributions will also be acknowledged.
For more information, call Geanie Longest at the Southside Sentinel at 758-2328 or email her at .
Recent Christmas Friends contributors include:
- Anonymous, $25.
- Carolyn and Bob Boxley, $200.
- Ron and Ann Massey, $100.
- Buzz and Fran Brown, $200.
- Community Thanksgiving held at Clarksbury United Methodist Church, $133.
- Ed and Suzanne Ruark, $100.
- In memory of Betty Wier by Rudy and Carolyn Smith, $100.
- In memory of John M. Bareford Sr. and Marden H. Bareford by Barbara and John M. Bareford Jr., $100.
- Wendy and Richard Edson, $100.
- In memory of loved ones by Charles and Betty Page Bristow, $100.
- In memory of Fay N. Willaford by Barbara and John M. Bareford Jr., $25.
- In loving memory of Sandra Bray Jacobson by Ken Jacobson, $100.
- Anonymous, $50.
- In memory of Walter Hurley by Margaret Hurley, $50.
- Anonymous, $500.
- In memory of Ted Toth by Ed and Robin Starbird, $100.
- Medicine Shoppe—Curt and Genie Saunders and staff, $150.
- W. Scott Brannan, $200.
- Grafton Baptist Church, $50.
- Mike and Beth Hurd, $200.
- Helen and Leo Richardson Charitable Trust, $500.
- Mason Realty Inc., $100.
- Middle Peninsula Insurance Agency Inc., $200.
- In memory of Thomas Bland Norman by Barbara and John M. Bareford Jr., $100.
- St. Clare Walker 6th-graders, $352.67
- In honor of our “Fabulous Five” by Aubrey and Margie Hall, $75.
- In memory of Kenny Williams Jr.—Love, Mama and Daddy, $50.
- Friday Night Gang, $160.
- In memory of loved ones by Barry and Vicky Powell, $100.
- In memory of Thomas Ward by Floyd and Jean Ward, $50.
- In loving memory of Edna Mae Bray, $25.
- In memory of my husband, Robert G. O’Hara Sr. by JoAnn, $100.
- “Peace and Love to Alana, Evan, Ella, Braden and Max by Gramma Mezo,” $50.
Total collected this week: $4,445.67
Previous balance: $20,239.00
Total collected to date: $24,684.67