Subscribe | Advertise
Contact Us | About Us
Submit News | PDF Access

Home · News · Videos · Photos · Community · Sports · School · Church · Obituaries · Classifieds · Supplements · Webcam · Search

Community News

Text size: Large | Small   

Christmas event raises $7,000 for the community

Riverside Tappahannock Hospital (RTH) held its annual Tree Lighting and Christmas Raffle on Thursday, December 6, and raised $7,000 for WRAR Christmas Wishes and the Riverside Tappahannock Hospital Make a Difference Fund. The amount will be shared equally between these two charities.

The sixth annual event, which was free and open to the public, featured a number of family activities, including a visit from Santa and the lighting of the hospital’s Christmas tree.

The raffle prize packages, all created and donated by RTH employees, had something for everyone. A “Canine Christmas” featured everything fun for a dog and its owner. “Relax and Sit a Spell” was a beautiful Adirondack furniture set crafted by Riverside physician Michael Francis, MD. The most popular package of the evening was the “His & Hers Christmas,” which featured a 42-inch television and iPad.

“Every year I am so grateful of what our team pulls together and accomplishes,” stated Liz Martin, RTH administrator. “It’s also wonderful to see the community come out, have a great time, and support these wonderful causes.”

Tammy Dabney of Tappahannock, was the winner of the “Cash, Candy and Lotto Cards Christmas Tree.” She was not only happy at winning, but also pleased that something like this could benefit others. “I’ve never won anything. I didn’t believe it when they told me, “ she said, smiling. 

Dabney won $165 in cash and instant lottery tickets, which gave her another $13 in winnings. “Every year I’ve bought tickets and every year it’s gotten better and better. It’s also really nice that it’s helped a lot of people,” she said.

Christmas Wishes provides Christmas gifts to children and families in need due to medical and/or financial hardship.

The RTH Make a Difference Fund allows the hospital to continually enhance the facilities, equipment and programs that support the health-care needs of the communities they serve. A major effort is currently under way to raise funds for the Building a Better Place to Heal Capital Campaign, which was created to renovate the hospital, providing private rooms for patients and enhancing the delivery of healthcare.

posted 12.12.2012

By commenting, you agree to our policy on comments.