Subscribe | Advertise
Contact Us | About Us
Submit News | PDF Access

Home · News · Videos · Photos · Community · Sports · School · Church · Obituaries · Classifieds · Supplements · Webcam · Search

Community News

Text size: Large | Small   

Adding fame to the name: John Smith play

Above, Capt. John Smith reels in pain from the sting.  (Photo by Tom Chillemi)
Worlds Collide: An elder Powhatan brave and his granddaughter watch, and wonder, as Captain John Smith leaves Stingray Isle—an omen of changes to come. Steve Smith (Kaptain Krunch) played the part of the brave and Anna Shaw the granddaughter.  (Photo by Tom Chillemi)
The “Stingray Point Story,” an original play about how Stingray Point in Deltaville got its name, was presented on July 17—400 years after the day that Captain John Smith was stung by a stingray after running aground at “Stingray Isle.”

The play also was presented on July 19 and about 500 people saw the two productions.

The play featured re-enactors from The Virginia Militia (1607-1699), local actors and original music, said Raynell Smith of Deltaville, who wrote, directed and produced the play.

Letter to the editor: Play was fun and informative

As a lifelong resident of Middlesex County I have always wondered just how the incident at Stingray must have occurred. As a teen I remember congregating with my peers often on weekend nights at the Point to pass time, and many are the times my mind would wander to a past I did not fully understand, and try to put together the series of events that occurred to Captain Smith and his crew 400 years prior. 

The “Stingray Point Story” production brought to life an event that had always eluded me, in a way that was informative, and fun. I salute you folks for this production that is probably the most significant event to have occurred on that waterway and beach since that of the ill-fated Captain of long ago. 

Charles “Bunny” Dunlevy of Remlik

posted 07.25.2008

By commenting, you agree to our policy on comments.