Subscribe | Advertise
Contact Us | About Us
Submit News

Home · News · Videos · Photos · Community · Sports · School · Church · Obituaries · Classifieds · Supplements · Search

Community News

Text size: Large | Small   

Academy students experience Williamsburg

A Williamsburg trade docent demonstrates blacksmithing chores for Chesapeake Academy visitors.

On the road again, Chesapeake Academy’s second and third grade classes trekked to Colonial Williamsburg to expand their study of the founding of our nation (curricular focus in second grade) and colonial history (third grade).

Happy to experience American history firsthand, students visited the Capitol building and learned about how meetings were conducted. Students experienced a trial in the courtroom and then visited the jail to see what life was like for those who were found guilty.
Student Logan Brent explained, “I liked that we got to do interactive stuff and we got to live in the 1700s-1800s.”

The posse of budding historians also visited the carpentry yard, the wigmaker, and the blacksmith. “It was awesome because in the blacksmith’s shop we got to see how they worked with metal,” said third-grader Khloe Ridgell.

Students were able to use the hand tools in the carpenter’s yard to experience how they are used to transform trees into lumber. “Instead of just seeing artifacts in cases we got to do hands-on activities. I learned a lot,” said third grade student Izzy Dew.

Baylen Miller summed up the trip, “I had a really fun time and would tell my parents I would like to do that tour again.”

posted 06.06.2019

By commenting, you agree to our policy on comments.