Plaque to honor colonial patriots buried at Christ Church
This Saturday, October 11, at 2:30 p.m., a bronze plaque will be dedicated marking the gravesites of 24 colonial patriots interred in the cemetery of the Mother Church of Christ Church Parish on Route 33, three miles east of Saluda.
Presented jointly by the Order of the Founders and Patriots of America (OFPA) and the Richard Henry Lee Chapter of the Sons of the American Revolution (SAR) of Irvington, the plaque bears the names of the 18 founders (residents of Virginia prior to 1673) and six Revolutionary War patriots.
Arthur Batten, governor of OFPA and president of the Virginia chapter of the SAR will preside over a wreath-laying ceremony at the site of the plaque. The actual dedication and unveiling of the plaque will be conducted by Myron E. Lymon, president of the OFPA and Robert E. Davis, president of the Richard Henry Lee chapter of the SAR.
Father Paul Andersen, representing Christ Church Parish, will accept the plaque.
The plaque includes the names of the following 18 founders: John Burnham, Henry Chicheley, Nicholas Cocke, Henry Corbin, Theophilis Hone, Humphrey Jones, Henry Nicholls, Richard Perrott Sr., Richard Robinson, John Sheppard, John Simpson, John Smyth (Smith), William Thompson, John Vause, John Welch (Wilch), George Williams, Thomas Williams and John Willis.
The six patriots of the American Revolution being honored are Edmund Berkeley, Richard Corbin, George Dame, John Jackson, Philip Grymes and Ralph Wormeley.
All descendants of these founding families are invited to be in attendance at the ceremony. Descendants should notify Vel Gray at 804-758-5784 of their intent to attend and their family connection, and Gray will be glad to recognize these descendants at the ceremony that day.
Christ Church Parish traces its beginnings to 1666.