Lower Church to celebrate 150 years of Methodism
|Lower United Methodist Church at Hartfield|
Dr. Janine Howard, current minister, is pleased to announce that Bishop Charlene P. Kammerer will attend and bring the message at this service. There will be only one service on this Sunday and Sunday School will be at 9:30 a.m.
After the service, there will be a covered dish lunch and other recognitions in the fellowship hall.
The present Lower Church building was completed in 1717 under the auspices of the Church of England to replace a previous wooden structure built in the early 17th century on the same site. In 1857 Robert Healy bought the church and property of 4 acres from the vestry of the Protestant Episcopal Church for $300, and at this time it was turned over to the Methodists. Healy also gave $2 for every one raised by the Methodists, until the sum of $500 was raised to repair the building.
Dr. Rosser and Rev. Butts were among the first pastors, and Capt. Healy was the first Sunday school superintendent. Time and again repairs have been made, and there have been three major additions made to the church.
Lower Church invites the community, former members, former pastors, and anyone interested to attend this special service of celebration.