Hands Across Middlesex to celebrate 20th anniversary
|Mike Firkins (right), the new coordinator for the Hands BackPack Buddy program, and volunteer Jamie Barnhardt load backpacks to deliver to the elementary and middle schools to be distributed to approximately 130 students chosen for the program by school administrators. The backpacks contain a weekend supply of food for each student recipient.|
by Toni Ewell
Hands Across Middlesex Interfaith Outreach Inc. will celebrate 20 years of service to Middlesex County residents on Sunday, October 21, at 3:30 p.m. at Calvary Baptist Church near Christchurch, the site of the first Hands board meeting in 1992.
In conjunction with the 20th anniversary, the Hands Board of Directors has declared Sunday, October 21, 2012 as “Hands Across Middlesex Sunday.” All Hands churches are being asked to recognize the services that Hands provides and to pray for the program’s continued ability to offer those services during worship services on October 21.
Hands Across Middlesex was organized by and continues to be governed by representatives from churches in Middlesex County. Hands provides the venue that allows all churches to pool their financial and human resources to better meet the needs of Middlesex residents. Food, clothing, furniture items, home repairs and ramps, and financial assistance are provided to every resident who meets Hands eligibility requirements.
In observance of the 20th anniversary, residents of Middlesex can give an anniversary gift from the “Hands Anniversary Registry”
- Become a Backpack Buddy sponsor. Your check for $200 will support one Backpack Buddy student for the entire school year.
- Become a volunteer in the Clothing Closet. Just a few hours once a week or once a month will make a great anniversary gift and volunteers are much in need to sort and display clothing Tuesdays through Fridays.
- Create a “Home Repair Team” (HRT) in your church that would be available once or twice a year to help Cullen Walker, the Hands HRP chair, to complete home repair projects in your neighborhood. Register your HRT by calling Hands or with your Hands church representative.
- Donate all your gently-used fall and winter clothing to the Clothing Closet, especially children’s clothing.
- Donate all your used but still good household items, furniture and appliances to Hands for clients and for sale in the twice monthly yard sales. All “anniversary gifts” will be greatly appreciated.
Hands is located in the Cryer Center on General Puller Highway in Locust Hill and is open Tuesdays through Fridays, 10 a.m. to 4 p.m. The phone number is 758-2044.