Hands Across Middlesex News
by Cathy Newcomb
Welcome to Hands Across Middlesex. We have been providing volunteer services to our fellow citizens in Middlesex County for 18 years. To qualify for assistance, you must be a resident of Middlesex County. In addition, we require an application that may be completed over the telephone.
Our services include:
- Clothing Barn: Located in the white cinder block building next to the Cooks Corner Office Complex on Route 33, three miles east of Saluda. Hours are 10 a.m. to 2 p.m. on the first and third Saturday of every month.
- Furniture Barn: You need to call the office for an appointment (776-8535).
- Emergency Assistance: Financial emergency assistance is available for rent, food and utilities ($300 a year). Please go through Social Services, your church, Bay Aging or your school district for a referral.
- Handicapped ramps: Access ramps for individuals with physical handicaps.
- Site cleanup: Removal of waste matter, cleaning gutters and exterior painting.
- Water in Now (WIN): Provides indoor plumbing, septic systems and water systems to homeowners.
- Housing Rehabilitation Project: Provides to homeowners all phases of construction to ensure a safe home environment.
If you are interested in volunteering in this organization, these are your opportunities: working in the clothing barn; working in the furniture barn; picking up clothes or furniture; working with computer training; working on fundraising; working at the Oyster Festival; working on Thanksgiving meals; working on Christmas meals; working with Water in Now; working in Housing Rehabilitation; working in the main office; working on ramps; running errands; case managers; project managers; transportation for medical appointments; shopping for shut- ins; and taking people shopping.
Hands Across Middlesex is a nonprofit 501-C organization. Our office is located at Philippi Christian Church in Deltaville. The phone number is 776-8535. Our mailing address is P.O. Box 1299, Saluda, VA 23149.