Hands Across Middlesex
by Cathy Newcomb
Our offices at the new building on Route 33, which will be shared with Habitat for Humanity and also offer office space to other assistance programs, are now receiving phone calls at our new phone number—758-2044.
Full services at this facility will not be provided until after the grand opening on January 24. Our move to the new facility officially started January 4 after a brief instructional meeting on January 2. The entire procedure will continue through January 9. There is still time to pitch in. If anyone has time to help, your efforts would be most welcome.
The schedule of events at the January 24 grand opening of the Cryer Center is as follows:
- 1:30 p.m., ribbon cutting (Urbanna Oyster Festival Queen and Little Miss Spat).
- 1:30 to 2:30 p.m., open house (tours and refreshments).
- 2:30 p.m., grand opening ceremony (host Macey White); opening prayer by Lyle Predmore, president of Habitat for Humanity in Middlesex; remarks by Hands Across
- Middlesex president Penny Lawson; recognition of dignitaries; and dedication and closing prayer (Pastor Mike Cook).
- 3 to 4 p.m., continue open house with tours and refreshments.
The Cryer Center is a regional facility that will be owned and operated by its tenants to serve anyone in need or crisis without cost. It is a gift from the Cryer family to the residents of our area for the use of nonprofit agencies to help those in need. The Cryers provided the center, its furnishings and equipment without cost to the organizations involved with its use. The agencies housed at the Cryer Center will continue to need public financial support. For that, we thank you in advance for your generosity.
At this time, the Peninsula Center for Independent Living, which provides services to people with disabilities that allow them to stay in their homes, will have an office at the Cryer Center. This office will be available to the public every Thursday from 1 to 4 p.m. There are at least five other organizations considering use of the space. These will be reported to you as soon as the decisions are confirmed.
Please keep your eyes open for advertisements about the March 20 Gala at the Bethpage Community Center near Urbanna. This will be an event to benefit Hands Across Middlesex and Middlesex Kiwanis. We look forward to sharing time with you that evening.